During the first trimester of pregnancy, many women complain about stuffy and runny nose, a condition known as pregnancy rhinitis. Are you struggling with it, too?
This medical problem occurs as a result of inflammation of nasal tissues caused by increased hormone production during pregnancy. Other than hormonal changes, medical conditions such as dust allergy and common cold could also cause rhinitis during pregnancy. It is better to avoid using medications to treat rhinitis as they can negatively affect the baby’s health. Ask your doctor about the dietary changes, which could be helpful in lessening your symptoms.
Vitamins and Minerals
Vitamins and minerals relieve pregnancy related rhinitis symptoms. Below mentioned is how:
- Vitamin C boosts the immune system. This makes you safe from various allergies and infections that can lead to rhinitis.
- Vitamin D works by relieving your runny and stuffy nose from allergies and other infections.
Ask your gynaecologist to determine your daily requirement of these nutrients. How much amount of nutrients you need depends on your overall health condition and medications that you are prescribed.
Once you are aware of your daily requirements, choose an appropriate diet plan that includes all the necessary vitamins and minerals.
- Incorporate ample amount of vitamin C sources in your diet. Include spinach, strawberries, tomatoes and various citrus fruits, such as oranges, lemon and grapefruit.
- To get sufficient amount of vitamin D, opt for a variety of fish like salmon or tuna.
- Inclusion of fortified foods, breakfast cereals and dairy products also provide vitamin D and this is a super nutrient that relieves runny nose.
If you are vegetarian, take the help of your doctor to know other sources of vitamin D, which do not affect you and your baby’s well-being. A little exposure to sun will be helpful to provide a good amount of this nutrient.
Dehydration can be life-threatening for your baby’s health. Your doctor is most likely to recommend that you consume plenty of water or other fluids as this works well for your health and protects against development of pregnancy rhinitis symptoms.
Tips to Soothe Symptoms of Pregnancy Rhinitis
- Sleep with your head elevated to relieve the discomfort of pregnancy rhinitis.
- Warm bath helps in clearing the nasal passage. Do not take steam bath as it is not recommended during pregnancy.
- You may place a humidifier in your room at night to control the level of moisture. Make sure that you follow the instructions for humidifiers to avoid inhaling harmful bacteria.
Cold in general is in itself irritating and can disrupt a lot of our activities. During pregnancy, a more severe form of this cold can paralyse one mentally. Being in touch with the different aspects of it and eating the right food can help you get relief.